Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2014

Random Minimum Wage and Marijuana Legalization Thoughts

This is probably, as usual, just going to be a jumble of random thoughts I'll try to weave into a cohesive summation at the end and, as usual, fail miserably.  You've been warned.

Random thought no. 1:  Marijuana will eventually be legalized throughout the United States.  I don't celebrate this because I don't smoke marijuana (not because I object to it in any way; it just doesn't sit right with me; I don't care for onions, either, but I don't think onions should be illegal).  The conservative states will hold out against legalization the longest because the South and the Midwest "Heart" of the country are full of people who still believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and that witches should be burned at the stake.  Marijuana is not a completely innocuous substance, but neither is vomit or alcohol.  If you want to drink vomit or alcohol, I have no objection to that, either.  I do object to other adults telling other adults what they can or cannot put into their own bodies.  If you disagree, I fully understand.  I hope you don't mind if I think you're stupid or just simply ignorant.

Random thought no. 2:  The minimum wage needs to be raised.  Inflation has skyrocketed since 1973 and the minimum wage has made it almost impossible for people to lift themselves out of poverty without selling enormous amounts of marijuana to supplement their direly insufficient wages (see Random thought no. 1).  Admittedly, raising the minimum wage isn't the complete answer to income inequality in the United States, but try feeding yourself on 7 or 8 bucks an hour, let alone a family, without selling marijuana to your local elected official's teenage children.  (Note:  I do not advocate selling marijuana to juveniles even when it inevitably is legalized.  Let juveniles get pot illegally, like I always had to when I was fifteen years old and could only buy a quarter-ounce every other month).

Random thought no. 3:  The world may or may not be on the verge of imminent doom.  This has nothing to do with Random thoughts nos. 1 and 2, but on the fact that we keep shitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and then wondering stupidly why the Arctic ice is receding at an unprecedented rate in geological time.  The Earth may very well remain and the cockroaches will overtake the planet as the most intelligent form of life.  My condolences to the cockroaches; the position is one they may not relish.

I lied about my intention of weaving these random thoughts into a cohesive summary.  Sorry.  And fuck you.  Because you're just another human high on pot, complaining about how the minimum wage is going to send the world to hell and turn it over to the cockroaches while you pollute the atmosphere with your stinky deodorants and your car exhaust fumes.

If the end comes soon enough, let's throw a pot party for the cockroaches.  They'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment